What are some of the best gas grills under 300 dollars in 2018? When it comes to gas grills, every buyer wants to buy the one with the best ratings in terms of durability, performance, convenience, temperature range, BTUs and even heat distribution at both high and low temperature grilling. While to many of us, this sounds like you may need to break a bank to enjoy the best grilled steak simply because of the price, amazingly there are a few gas grills that offer the perfect grilling experience you need.
It doesn’t always mean that getting a more expensive gas grill will give you better performance. The performance of gas grills whether small or big is not always tied to the price, but on the features and functionality. The only difference is that you will need to be a little more careful in order to find the right grill that will make you the master of your backyard. This may sound like a hard and time consuming process but you do not need to worry because the following is a list of the best gas grills under 300 dollars that you can choose from.
Our hunt for the best gas grill in this price range took several months and the help of some experienced grilling aficionados who have been grilling for at least 8 years. Below is a quick list of the affordable gas grills followed by a more in-depth review of each of them.
List Of The Best Gas Grills Under 300 Dollars (2018 Update)
1Coleman Road Trip Propane Portable Grill LXE
2Weber 51010001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill
3Weber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill
4Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill
5Big Gas 3 Burner Grill Black/red
6Dyna-Glo DGB390SNP-D Smart Space Living Gas Grill
7Char Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Gas Grill
A more detailed review below on how we picked up the best gas grills under 300 dollars and links on the best places to buy these gas grill. They have stood the test of time and stayed true to their purpose.
The Coleman Road Trip is a black gas grill that measures 19 x 35 x 32 inches and weighs 44 pounds. It is our best gas grill under 300 bucks and if we were to make a list of gas grills under $500, it still would be our favorite. We’ve tested many gas grills, many dozens and still we couldn’t find one that can be closely compared to this one. It is a simple gas grill and simply delivers on its promise.
It is described as “The grill master“, thanks to its ability to to wield around and set up easily. Its performance isn’t short of perfect either— It comprises of handy features that will take your grilling to the next level. It boasts 20,000 BTU burners that are adjustable and perfect for outdoor cooking, the PerfectFlow™ Pressure Control System that provide steady heat including outdoors in the cold, compact size with easy to pull handles and wheels for portability, cast -iron and porcelain coated surfaces that guarantees durability, not to mention its adorable large cooking surface measuring 285 sq. inches.
This gas grill is also easy to set up and operates on 16.4 oz propane cylinder or 20 lb propane tank. The two burners can last up to 1.1 hours burning when they are on high and 4.5 hours with one of them burning on the low. It also features matchless lighting, tool holders and built-in side tables, 2 grill grates, and removable grease tray. It gives out an authentic grilling taste thanks to open-flame drip through grilling. It comes with a limited 5 year warranty which is quite impressive.
Why choose Coleman Road Trip Propane Portable Grill LXE
- It is an affordable gas grill yet guaranteeing killer performance (better performing than MOST gas grills that are going for over $300).
- It is a highly portable propane grill which makes it perfect for outdoor grilling and even set it up at any spot in your backyard.
- It is easy to set up and transport as it easily folds into its compact size with large handles and wheels.
- The 10,000 BTUs on each burner are adjustable and provide steady heat even in the cold. This makes it perfect for outdoor grilling.
- It is easy to clean given the porcelain coating on the surfaces and the removable grease tray.
- It has a large cooking surface for a hassle free grilling experience.
- It uses open-flame drip-through grilling that produces an authentic grilling taste.
- The 5 year limited warranty is impressive.
Potential concerns with Coleman Road Trip Propane Portable Grill LXE
- One notable concern that comes with this gas grill is that the burners tend to be close to the cooking surface as compared to others. Although this guarantees perfect heating and faster grilling, some could argue that if not mindful you could end up burning the food.
The Coleman Road Trip Propane Portable Grill LXE is an affordable gas grill that can be an envy of your next barbecue. It is a quality product that is compact, easy to set up, use and transport plus it delivers consistent cooking even in the cold. It is also easy to clean and gives out an authentic grilling taste that every grill master will love. It is definitely a gas grill that you will not regret buying.
Second in our list of the best gas grills under $300 is one of weber’s best selling gas grills. The Weber 51010001 is a small and affordable gas grill that is ideal for apartment balconies, patios and trips. It measures 20.5 x 40.9 x 24.6 inches and weighs 29.2 pounds. This sleek designed gas grill does not disappoint in terms of performance as well as functionality and fun.
For instance, it features ergonomic side handles, tall lid, large grip handle and control knobs, large fold-out side table and strong rear and front cradles. It produces 8500 BTUs of heat to heat an area of 189 sq. inches with electronic ignition and built-in thermometer for easy ignition and temperature monitoring. It uses durable porcelain coated cast iron grates and stainless steel burner for durability and comes with a limited 5 year warranty.
Why choose Weber 51010001 Q1200
- It is a small gas grill perfect for small spaces like balconies and patios.
- The cookbox is made of cast aluminum which makes it durable, efficient, and easy to maintain and clean.
- It is compact enough for you to travel with on camping or road trips.
- The grates are nonstick and are easy to clean.
- It has good aesthetics given that it is compact, light and with good design and colors.
- It heats up fast and cooks like a big grill.
Potential concerns with the Weber 51010001 Q1200
– It may take long to bring it up to cooking temperature.
– There are those who feel that it is not hot enough.
The Weber 51010001 Q1200 has been described by many the great little grill. In all honesty, it is a perfect grill to use when you are on a trip or grill on a small scale for a few people. It is stylish, highly portable, easy to clean, durable and above all has a good performance.
The Weber Q2200, previously Weber Q220, is a gray colored gas grill that measures 25.1 x 51.4 x 26 inches and weighs 42.5 pounds. The restyling comes with the same sleek design and great performance but with added aesthetics in form of large control knobs and grilling handles, ergonomic side handles, large and rigid side tables as well as strong back and front cradles. The Weber comes fully assembled out of box and also features a 12,000 BTU-per-hour stainless steel burner that heats up a cooking area of 280 sq. inches, electronic ignition, cast-iron grates with porcelain enamel finish, cast aluminum lid and body, re-contoured lids and split grates. It uses 14.1 or 16.4 oz LP cylinders that are sold separately plus a 20 lb tan adapter. The gas grill is also CSA listed, ANSI certified and is made in the USA.
Why choose Weber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill
- It is affordable.
- It uses electronic ignition which make it fast and reliable for grilling.
- It is versatile thanks to the re-contoured lids that accommodate whole roasts.
- The Weber is also durable given the porcelain enamel finish over cast iron grates.
- It is easy to clean thanks to the split grates that not only simplify cleaning but also allow optional use of griddle over one side of the burner.
- It looks aesthetically good yet with more functionality as shown by the large and strong side tables, large grip handles and control knobs and sturdy cradles.
- It is easy to transport from one place to another with the help of its ergonomic side handles.
- It is lightweight yet with reliable performance.
- It is stylish and perfect choice for a small family.
Potential concerns with Weber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill
-It is marketed as being assembled out of the box but many users say that it requires some assembly.
The Weber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill is a highly recommended gas grill given that it is affordable yet with great performance. It is highly portable with a sleek design that makes it appealing to many people. It is best used outdoors given its durable and strong construction plus good quality cooking that makes every grill a special one.
The Char-Broil TRU-infrared Bistro is a black colored gas grill that is described as being small and affordable but mighty on features. It has dimensions of 24.4 x 25.2 x 38.2 inches and weighs 54 pounds although it is available in different sizes. This small size ensures that people with small homes can turn their terraces, balconies, small patio or decks into a bistro with greater convenience. This grill uses TRU-infrared technology to directly heat food while ensuring few flares and even cooking. The Bistro uses a 13000 BTU burner which may look small but with the Infrared technology, this burner produces a lot of heat out of small amount of fuel. Other features of the Bistro include wheels for mobility, towel bars to hold tools and accessories, stainless steel cooking grates, electronic ignition, 240 sq. inch primary cooking area, 80 sq. inch secondary cooking area and a high-temperature porcelain finish.
Why choose Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill
- It is highly portable given the two strong and durable wheels.
- It is small, compact and sleek in design and can perfectly fit small spaces like the deck, balconies and small patio among other places.
- It is highly efficient and produces lots of heat out of little fuel and this is possible because of the TRU-infrared technology.
- It is lightweight with only 54 pounds when it is fully assembled.
- It has an ample cooking area that can allow up to 4 people to use it.
- It has a good grilling performance given the few flares and no hot or cold spots during cooking.
- It is very affordable.
Potential concerns with the Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill
– Many users feel that the pre heat time is long.
– The construction materials are lightweight, thin and flimsy and this means that it can easily break down in case of a dent or knock.
The Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro Gas Grill is a small and lightweight gas grill that is ideal for grilling in small spaces. It has a modern, sleek design that looks attractive and is highly efficient given the TRU-infrared technology. This is a good grass grill that is not only cheap but also with many good features.
The Big Gas Grill is touted as the master of outdoor kitchen given its three 30,000 BTU burners, ample cooking space of 608 sq. inches and other excellent accessories. It has dimensions of 40 x 61 x 17.8 cm and weighs 38 kg. The grill features matchless ignition, heat-control knobs, 3 feet hose and regulator, independent leveling legs, folding shelf and burner housing. The removable grill box features cast iron grill grates, heat diffuser plates that turn flame into infrared heat, lid damper valve, built-in thermometer, vented lid with handle as well as out of box ready. It also uses pre-seasoned cast iron grill grates for the perfect searing. This grill is the master of the outdoor kitchen and does it all from grilling, barbecuing and smoking to boiling and frying. The propane cylinder is not included and the grill comes with one year warranty.
Why choose Big Gas 3 Burner Grill Black/red
- It has a high cooking power with a total of 90,000 BTUs from the three burners which is three times the heat of a normal kitchen stove.
- It is versatile as it allows you to switch the variety of cooking accessories depending on your cooking preferences.
- The grill box is out of box ready and the three stove burners can be used in any pan or pot.
- The grill ensures even cooking with its internal-heat diffusion technology.
- It has an ample cooking space of 608 sq. inches and further allows lifting of the two burner grill for more cooking space.
- The pre-seasoned cast iron grate is perfect in holding the heat and searing in for great flavor. It also has the lid damper valve that controls the heat and smoke for the perfect grill flavor.
- It cooks fast and has a built-in thermometer for the right grilling temperature.
- It is easy to transport and store thanks to the removable legs and folding side shelf.
- The removable grill box can be replaced with any Camp Chef 16-inch accessory which gives it extra versatility.
Potential concerns with the Big Gas 3 Burner Grill Black/red
– It is a big gas grill and not ideal for small spaces.
– It easily gets rust if not protected from weather elements.
The Big Gas 3 Burner Grill Black/red is a big, powerful and high capacity gas grill that is ideal for outdoor cooking. The construction materials, dimensions, cooking area, height and weight as well as the heat output are all on the higher side and designed for those who are serious about outdoor cooking. It is affordable and this is another reason not to ignore it.
The Dyna-Glo DGB390SNP-D gas grill is touted as ‘a cut above the others’ given its durable construction as well as high performance. It is smaller than most full sized gas grills with dimensions of 45.05 x 49.14 x 22.82 inches yet larger than similar models in its category. It is a 3-burner gas grill with a total output of 36,000 BTUs of heat. The primary cooking area is 390 sq. inches while the secondary cooking area is 117 sq. inches which give a total of 506 sq. inches. Included are fold down side tables with tool hooks and towel bars, single door cabinet, porcelain-coated cast iron grates and electronic ignition. The hood lid is designed with a lift handle and a double-wall inner liner for easy lifting and heat retention. Other features include built-in easy-to-read thermometer, heavy gauge steel heat tents and a combination of stainless and enameled steel construction.
Why choose Dyna-Glo DGB390SNP-D gas grill
- It has a small size that is perfect for those who have a small space or cook for a few people. This feature is further enhanced by the collapsible side tables.
- It has a fairly large space for preparation and cooking thanks to the powder-coated steel side tables that supports tool hooks and towel bars.
- The 36,000 BTUs of steady heat together with the porcelain-coated heavy gauge steel heat tents ensure the even distribution of heat across the cooking surface for the best flavor.
- It has a compact design allowing for maximum cooking with small footprint.
- The built-in thermometer allows you to monitor your food for the perfect cooking.
- It sears and locks in natural food juices thanks to the heavy duty grilling surface.
Potential concerns with Dyna-Glo DGB390SNP-D
– There are complaints about the quality of steel in the construction.
– It has a limited heat output.
The Dyna-Glo DGB390SNP-D gas grill has all the basic features necessary for a medium level gas grill. These features may not be great but that does not mean it is a cheap 3-burner gas grill either. In all honesty, it is a competent gas grill that you can use to grill steaks, chicken wings and burgers to your satisfaction. And for under $300, this is a gas grill worth considering.
To finalize our list of the best gas grills under 300 dollars is yet another grilling beast by Char-broil. The Char Broil Performance 475 is a feature rich economy gas grill that measures 25.8 x 53.1 x 45 inches and weighs 95.7 pounds. It uses 4 burners that produce 36,000 BTUs of heat that adequately heat across 475 sq. inches of cooking surface. The burner, handle, control area and the lid are made of stainless steel material while the cooking grate is made of rust resistant porcelain coated cast iron. It also features a 10,000 BTUs lidded side burner that is good for cooking sauces. Other features include electronic ignition, two metal side shelves, two 6-inch wheels, two fixe legs and 175 sq. inch a warming rack. Also included is a removable grease pan and lid-mounted temperature gauge.
Why choose Char Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cart Gas Grill
- The 36,000 BTUs produced by the 4 burners plus 10,000 BTUs side burner is enough heat for fast cooking.
- It uses porcelain coated cast iron grates and removable grease pan that are rust resistant, easy to clean and durable.
- It has a sleek black and stainless steel construction plus stainless steel heat tents for even cooking and durability.
- The electronic ignition and built-in temperature gauge increases the reliability of this gas grill.
- It is affordable and gives a great value for the price.
- It is easy to move from one place to another given the wheels.
- It is easy and fast to set up if you follow the instructions correctly.
Potential concerns with the Char Broil Performance
-It will take a while to reach the right searing temperature.
– Uses liquid propane only for fuel.
The Char Broil Performance is a good economy gas grill that can accommodate a BBQ of 1-5 people. It uses a small amount of space and his highly portable which means that you can easily take it around town. It has an excellent grill box and it is definitely a choice to go with in its price range.
These are the best gas grills for the money (under $300) and we didn’t just randomly pick any gas grills, but did our rigorous research and went through hundreds of verified users.
What To Expect From A Good Gas Grill
It is true that you get what you pay for but it is not wise to wait until you have enough money to enjoy stress free grilling provided by gas grills. This is why economy gas grills are actually good for their prices and you will need to dig deep into your pocket if you want the ones with better features. So, which features are compromised when it comes to economy gas grills?
– Lacks durability and that is why they come with limited warranties.
– Construction material is usually of low quality.
– Weak on power and does not cook evenly.
– Few features as they are usually simple and lightweight.
– Not versatile as they are thin and cannot hold heat.
– Watch out for flare-ups!
In all honesty, you can always choose between a cheap gas grill and a quality charcoal grill but who doesn’t want an easy and quick grill even if it is for only for cooking burgers, mediocre steaks and dogs? So, when such a time comes, make sure that you choose the best gas grills for the money.
Which is The Best? Gas grill or Charcoal Barbecue?
Before buying a BBQ, the first thing that you need to consider is whether to choose a gas grill or a more traditional charcoal grill.
If you’re looking for convenience, then you can’t beat a gas grill. With a simple flick of a switch, the grill is up and running and ready to cook your food. It’s the perfect choice for time poor individuals. On the flip side, the more convenient the grill, the less smokey the foods flavor will be. For many users, this really doesn’t matter, but for grillers who want their steaks to have that authentic BBQ taste, then a charcoal grill is the way to go. However, there’s a lot of work to go into getting this smokey flavor. Fetching and stacking the briquettes, trying to light the grill and then waiting for it to start glowing is time consuming.
As gas grills can have adjustable heat, they can be used to cook more delicately flavored food such vegetables and fish, which would be ruined be an intensely smoked taste. However, charcoal is generally considered to be the best way to cook a steak, as it can reach heats of over 700 degrees fahrenheit, the perfect temperate for searing.
The convenience of the gas grill also continues once the food is eaten and it’s time to tidy away. Again, simply turning the switch to off and giving the grill a quick brush over with a metal brush and your work is done, unlike the charcoal grill which needs time to cool and ashes to be cleaned up.
It’s also worth considering where in your yard, the grill is going to sit. With gas grills, you always run the risk of having flare ups and consequently they should be located I safe areas away from any materials which could catch fire. If limited on space, then using a charcoal grill (lit by an electric lighter) will produce practically no open flame. Charcoal grills also have the added benefit of being far more portable than gas grills, perfect for trips down to the beach or vacations.
The price of any type of grill can differ dramatically depending on the specification. Gas grills can cost anything from $100 right up to $1,500, though those around the $300 bracket are the most popular. A charcoal grill can be picked up for a little as $15 but again, the price can go as high as $450. Although, gas grills are a much higher price, they can generally be kept for much longer. Gas grill do need more maintenance than your average charcoal one, which will generally just have to have its grates replace every year or two. With the gas option, gas connections, flavor bars, ignitions and grill all need to be checked regularly and replaced on wear. Investing in a grill cover will help maintain the lifespan of all models.
It’s also cheaper to run gas grill, with charcoal costing up to two thirds more and briquettes over three times as much.
Ultimately, the decision of gas grills vs charcoal grills, comes down to convenience, cost and taste. All of which should be considered before a purchase is made.