If you are shopping around for the best mattress under 500 dollars in 2018, then this is the perfect guide for you. We’ve spent months researching and conducting surveys and taking customers opinions on the best of these mattresses and we are proud to say that this is the most comprehensive and complete list of mattresses under 500 you will come across. We will keep updating our list from time to time to ensure that we have the best list out there on this class.
One thing that everyone yearns for after a busy day is to have a good rest. While sitting on your couch can be very relaxing, it is only when your slip into your bed that you get a complete rest. Unfortunately, this is something that is only enjoyed by 75% of the American population and this is only for a few nights per week. If you find yourself tossing and turning most of the nights then it is time that you find out the reason behind it. So, could it be that you are using the wrong mattress in terms of size, type and lifestyle? The importance of having a perfect night’s sleep cannot be underestimated and you don’t need to spend a fortune to get it.
List Of The Best Mattresses Under 500 Dollars In 2018
If you are looking for the best affordable mattresses under 500 dollars, then here is a quick list. Click on any of them to read a detailed review on each.
#1 Zinus Green Tea Mattress (Cheapest Of Them All)
Below is an in-depth review of these mattresses and why we chose them to be the best mattresses under 500 dollars.
1. Zinus Green Tea Mattress
Zinus Green Tea isn’t only the best mattress under 500 dollars, but also the cheapest option of them all. It is one of the best selling mattresses of all time and there is every reason to go for this mattress.
This memory foam mattress delivers a good night’s sleep through a combination a top layer memory foam followed by a layer of pressure relieving comfort foam, an airflow high-density foam and airflow high-density base support foam that are all under a soft knitted jacquard cover. It boasts of green tea extract and castor natural seed oil infusion that fights odor and bacteria naturally. Zinus Green Tea conforms to the comfort and memory foam support and has a certiPUR-US certification for durability, content and performance. It uses a patented compression technology that allows for smart shipping.
Why choose Zinus Green Tea Mattress
– It is a comfortable mattress that has received a huge number of 5 star customer reviews. This can be attributed to the 4 layer structure that gives it a solid support yet comfortable enough
– It has the right firmness since it is on the medium side – soft yet not too firm or plush. This is made possible by the soft knitted jacquard fabric and the firm structure. Being on the medium side accommodates people who suffer from back pains yet provide comfort to those who love it soft.
– It has certiPUR-US certification and this gives an assurance that the contents that are used meets the quality standards of safety, durability and performance.
– The memory foam is conveniently packaged and shipped which makes it easy to carry up the stairs. It is also easy to set up since it is vacuum sealed and it just needs to unroll and inflate in the course of a few hours to a day.
-It is affordable and comes with a good price tag.
Potential concerns with the Zinus Green Tea Mattress
– The memory foam does not come with a removable and washable cover which makes it difficult to clean.
– You may find it a little softer or harder which actually depends on your sleeping preferences and it is hard to tell this until you experience it.
– It is possible to experience odors for the first few days as reported by some users.
Generally, this mattress has proven good for many users especially given its comfort and affordable prize. It has outperformed other pricey mattresses as many users would buy it again and again. It is therefore a mattress that is highly recommended for a good night’s sleep.
2. Tuft & Needle Mattress
Our second best mattress under 500 bucks is the Tuft & Needle. If positive reviews are the way to go, then Tuft and Needle mattress is the best mattress you can get. With 90% positive reviews, this mattress was rated the ‘best buy’ in the year 2016 being praised as a high quality and adaptive foam mattress. So, is it this actually the case? First, it is made with T&N adaptive foam which provides a localized bounce yet supportive feel for all sleeping positions. The adaptive technology responds to environmental changes in terms of temperature and humidity. Apart from this, the mattress contains layers of Memory Foam (quilted to adaptive technology cover), Swirl Gel Memory Foam, Positive Foam and High Density Support Foam Base. All these are said to be the secret of its pressure relieving comfort and support for a good night’s sleep. This mattress is CertiPUR-US certified and made in the USA.
Why choose Tuft & Needle Mattress
– The mattress is top rated as the most comfortable mattress belonging to one of the best company cultures in America (entrepreneur magazine 2017).
– It uses best technologies like T&N adaptive as well as gel and graphite for temperature regulation.
– It is compatible with most frames and foundation types since they fit the six standard industry sizes and even when you use it on the floor.
– Has minimal risk considering that it comes with a 10 year warranty and a 100% money back if you do not like it after 100 nights of sleep.
– It has medium firmness and bouncy feeling which accommodates a wide range of preferences.
– Made in the USA and has a good customer service.
– Even with such a good product, it might take you a little time to adjust to it and there are those who feel that it is either too soft or firm which depends on personal preferences.
– You may also find the odor but will disappear within the first few days.
In all honesty, this is a great mattress as it lives up to its expectation of being universal. Its good quality is undeniable and this could just be what you have been looking for in a mattress considering that it comes with no risk besides a good price tag.
3. Signature Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
This memory foam mattress is touted for its ability to offer a comfortable night’s sleep by molding to the body shape naturally. The top layer consists of memory foam followed by a layer of high density foam. It also boasts of being eco- friendly having a low VOC certiPUR-US certification hence no danger of getting exposed to dangerous chemicals. It is accompanied by a mattress cover made of knit fabric that is soft and easy to clean. The package comes compressed, rolled and vacuum sealed and requires 48 hours to fully expand.
Why choose Signature Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
– It has low VOC certiPUR-US foam certification hence no worries of dangerous chemicals like TCEP flame retardants, ozone depleters, formaldehyde, mercury and heavy metals
– It is designed to evenly distribute body weight providing a balanced support and comfortable sleep.
– Works on multiple surfaces including platform, bunk, day, trundle and box spring beds.
– It comes with a removable and washable cover made of knit fabric which makes cleaning easy. Most mattresses do not have this feature which gives this one a plus.
– The packaging makes it easy to transport and set up. This is made possible by the compression, rolling and vacuum sealing form of packaging.
– It is firm and it is good if you have back and neck issues.
Potential concerns with the Signature Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
– It is firm and may be uncomfortable for those who like a little softer mattress or a plush one.
– The 48 hours it takes to fully expand is long given that there are those that do so within a few hours. There are users that complain of them not fully expanding.
-You may need a solid support surface for good results.
In all honesty, signature memory foam mattress has received nearly consistent reviews from many users who love its firm yet comfortable nature. It is quite affordable and if you are not a fun of a plush bed, this one is the way to go.
4. Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate
This cool gel ultimate gel memory foam mattress is touted as offering the support and comfort for a deep night’s sleep. Its 14 inch mattress consists of a 2 inch ventilated cool gel foam, 2 inch memory foam contours, 2 inch comfort foam and 8 inch high density base foam although the inches vary depending on the size. These layers are covered with a tailored stretch knit fabric with a waterfall edge and matching knit side panels. The memory foam is high quality certiPUR-US certified and the gel is naturally antimicrobial and hypoallergenic. Its firmness is plush and the packaging is done through compression and rolling together with a shredded memory foam pillow all delivered in a box.
Why choose Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate
– This mattress is made using next generation memory foam and gel technology which gives it a comfortable and luxurious sleeping experience. This also means that the foam is self ventilating and more breathable compared to the conventional foam.
– It has beautiful looks all thanks to its well designed cover with a corded waterfall knit edge and contrasting border.
– The fact that it comes with a shredded memory foam pillow with a plush feel and a removable cover is a plus.
– Classic brands is CertiPUR-US certified which means it uses certified flexible polyurethane foam.
– It uses smart packaging which gives it a third of its normal size and the good part is that this mattress recovers to its original shape pretty quickly after opening the package and most users agree with this.
– It offers a cool/optimal sleeping temperature and it is adjustable base friendly.
– The 25 year warranty also gives an assurance of the product durability.
– Excellent customer service.
Potential concerns with the Classic brands Cool Gel Ultimate
-While the mattress is described as being plush, many users report it being medium/ plush while others say it is too firm or too plush.
-There are those who feel that it has an odor that persists for a few days.
-There are also complaints of poor edge support.
This mattress has received 5 star ratings from many users and it definitely deserves it given its numerous good points. As for the firmness description, personal preferences differ and it could come just right for you. It is a good choice given the price category.
5. Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress
Another mattress that couldn’t miss in our list of the best mattresses under 500 is this one. This is a cooling gel mattress that is made in the USA. The 10-inch size is broken down into a top 0.75 inch soft layer followed by 2.5 inches of Energex gel foam and 6.5 inches of high density polyurethane foam. The layer inches vary depending on the size of the mattress. It is designed to offer medium comfort level with its gel infused and highly breathable foam providing a cool, quality night’s sleep. Its description is that of a visco but with a bounce which is attributed to Energex gel foam. It comes with a 10 year warranty and is certiPUR-US certified.
Why choose Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress
– It is a good quality and comfortable mattress especially for the price. It is structured such that the foam is supportive yet just enough to sink in. Many users would pay more for it.
– The mattress uses the cooling gel technology making it cool and comfortable to sleep.
– It is durable with a warranty of 10 years.
– Being USA made is quite assuring in terms of quality, safety and performance as it is also certiPUR-US certified.
– The packaging is great and it expands fully upon cutting it out of the box.
-The price is great. For under $500, getting a mattress that encapsulates all the qualities of a 1000 dollar mattress is just awesome.
– The reservations with this mattress is that it offers an extra plush firmness which is not good if you are experiencing back and neck pains.
The Arctic Dreams Cooling Gel Mattress will give you cool and comfortable nights if you have no problem with the extra plush. Considering the price, it is a good candidate to put it in a quest room, child’s room and or as a camper mattress.
6. Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus Memory Foam Mattress
Depending on the size, this mattress consists of varying thicknesses of 4lbs density Signature Gel-Plus Memory Foam followed by a bi-directional Double Air Flow Comfort Foam and a Double Air Flow HD Base Support Foam. All these combine to provide support, ample air flow, temperature regulation and comfort. It comes with an elegant textile stretch knit cover that is fully removable and features a mocha- ultra suede siding. It is made in the USA, is certiPUR certified and has a warranty of 10 years. The available sizes include twin, twin X-large, full, queen and king. It is touted as the famously coveted Goldilocks standard of ‘just right’.
Why choose Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus memory foam mattress
-it is comfortable for a wide range of weights and sleeping positions since it uses superior, resilient and responsive materials
– It has an elegant prime knit cover that is fully removable which makes cleaning easy. The mocha ultra-suede siding gives it a contemporary look and a soft touch.
-It is made in the USA and is backed with a 10 years warranty and this shows that the quality is also ‘just right’.
-Being CertiPUR certified means that it is made with no dangerous chemicals that can harm you and the environment.
-Wide range of feel ranging from medium soft, medium to medium firm.
– Its durability is great given the 100% 10 year warranty
Potential concerns with the Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-Plus .
-The mattress sometimes has a persistent odor as reported by some users.
-If you like a firm mattress, this could be a little on the softer side for you.
Despite the few flaws, this mattress has way more positive reviews and it is praised for the comfort that it offers. Again, personal preferences differ but generally, this mattress is worth every penny if you will choose the right size. This mattress is designed like any other premium mattress yet you can get it for under $500.
7. Resort Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
To close our list of the best mattresses under 500 dollars is Resort Sleep’s memory foam which enjoys high ratings and reviews from users. Although this mattress isn’t as popular as most on this list, it surely doesn’t disappoint in many ways. Sometimes not many people can easily notice a good mattress and this is the case with Resort Sleep memory foam mattress. It comes in a variety of sizes- twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen, RV queen, king and California king. The most noticeable feature is the linen fabric cover that is removable and easy to wash. The mattress itself consists of two layers of Premium Air-Flow Infused Visco and a High Density Support Base. These are quality materials that make it breathable and give it a plush feeling. It comes with a visco-elastic pillow and they are all certiPUR-US certified meaning the materials used are non toxic, hypoallergenic and eco- friendly.
Why choose Resort Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
– It is affordable yet it is crafted with high quality materials that enable cooler and comfortable night’s sleep.
– The mattress is eco-friendly and certiPUR-US certified which means less chemicals, toxins and gases during manufacturing.
– It is also durable and comes with a 20 – year warranty. This is way better than other memory foam mattresses at the same price range that comes with only a 10-year warranty.
– It has a medium to medium firm comfort level which is comfortable to many people as it is neither too firm nor too soft.
– The flex linen cover is great and offers a cloud-like touch
– It works well on a variety of beds including box springs, platforms, adjustable, foundations and even the floor.
– No risk involved given the 20 year warranty and a 30 day full refund guarantee in case you do not like it.
Potential concerns with Resort Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
-It is a firm bed and will not be great if you love it plush.
– There are complains of it not fluffing to fully and sinking in at the center after using it for a while.
With a good number of features and positive experiences, this mattress is a cheap alternative to buying an expensive mattress. After all you can still get your money back if you do not like it after the 30 days trial period.
Looking To Buy A Good Mattress Under 500 Dollars?
When buying a new mattress, things can get a little bit tricky. Regardless of whether you are looking for a mattress under $500 or above that price range. For this reason, you need to ensure that you get the right one without having to spend an entire day moving from one store to another or searching endlessly online. Buying from the local store enables you to test what you think is good for you but the process is tiresome and prices are usually high.
Buying it online is cheaper and convenient but you need to be careful to ensure that you get the right mattress. With thousands of mattresses to choose from, it is very easy to get confused although that should not be the case if you consider a few things that include the price, size, style, firmness, material, certification, customer service and performance.
You will need to be careful with customer reviews in order to have a clear picture and learn from the experiences of others. A highly rated mattress indicates that it is good but you need to consider the potential concerns that people may have against it. These could be isolated cases but they should be on the minimal side for you to consider it for buying.
There may be a chance to return it back or get a refund but the hassle of going through the customer care, repackaging and paying for shipping is not what you would like to go through.
Things You Should Not Ignore When Buying Your Mattress
Many online shoppers just happen to look at the product description and customers’ reviews before settling on a product. It is not entirely wrong to do this but there are other things that might get you into trouble. They include customer care services, packaging and delivery time.
An unresponsive customer service will get you into trouble in case you do not happen to like the product. With poor packaging, you will end up with a bulky or heavy mattress that is hard to carry to your room. It may also get damaged during the shipping process. As for the delivery time, you will not want a product that will take ages to get to your door. With this in mind, be sure to have a nice experience when buying your mattress online.
A Dizzying Array of Choices Among Mattress Types
If you plan on buying a new mattress, you’ll have to choose between a traditional innerspring mattress and one of the newer types on the market, including memory foam (such as the Tempur-Pedic), air (such as the Sleep Number bed) or latex foam (such as the Ikea Sultan Erfjord). Experts agree that any of these mattress types can provide proper support, and that choosing between them comes down to how much you can spend and whether you’re willing to pay a premium for a foam or latex mattress that doesn’t need flipping and reportedly lasts for 20 years.
Other options, including adjustable beds and waterbeds, exist as well. Experts say adjustable beds, which can bring you to a sitting position, should be used primarily by people who are immobile or who have medical problems such as hypertension, congestive heart failure, circulation problems or a difficult time sleeping on a flat bed due to health conditions like back or joint pain. However, adjustable beds prevent free movement during sleep, which is important for spinal health. Rather than purchasing an adjustable bed, experts suggest using additional pillows, which can help simulate an adjustable bed.
For those with back or joint pain, Arthritis Today author Susan Bernstein suggests using a pillow-top or a foam mattress topper under the sheets. She also recommends satin sheets to improve one’s ability to turn over and get out of bed. As always, check with your physician on the best sleeping arrangements for you if you have any health concerns.
The vinyl waterbed has been around for more than 40 years, although they’re not as popular as they used to be. One benefit of a waterbed is the lack of pressure points, since the water conforms to your body. The key is to ensure the mattress is full enough so there is enough support. When shopping for a mattress, be sure to look for one that minimizes the amount of disturbance you may receive if you sleep with a partner.
Some models boast luxury touches like washable pillow tops or added padding for comfort. The extra-firm, waveless Sorrento (*Est. $1,300, queen size) has an added layer of memory foam. The Land and Sky New Century NightFlight Elite (*Est. $1,000, queen size) has a variety of customizable waterbed mattresses, which can offer you as much support (with or without waves) as you need. Some styles come with a waveless inner coil that offers additional support.
Futons are another option, particularly if you prefer a very firm sleep surface. The average futon price ranges from $100 to $140 but can cost more than $300 and at times coudl even go to as high as $500. Experts recommend a futon of at least 6 inches thick made of 100 percent cotton.
A good mattress should align the spine — When it comes to choosing the best mattress, proper sleeping posture is the most important consideration, experts say. Lying on your side, your shoulders and hips should sink into the mattress, while your waist is supported. “Your spine should look the same when you’re lying down as it does when you’re standing up,” Scott Bautch, a Wisconsin chiropractor, tells The New York Times.
Not too soft & too-firm mattress — whether made of foam, springs or air chambers — may not allow enough give for that to happen. An excellent article at Australia’s Choice magazine explains that a hard mattress may tax back and neck muscles, which will have to work harder to keep your spine straight. At the same time, a too-soft mattress will also cause spinal alignment problems, as “your muscles work to compensate for the lack of support,” Choice’s editors say. Keep in mind that heavier people, however, may need a firmer mattress in order to provide similar spinal support. But most people probably need something in the middle, neither the hardest nor the softest mattress.
Alan Hedge, a professor of ergonomics at Cornell University, recommends going for a mattress that is made to perfectly conform to your spine’s natural curves and to keep the spine aligned when you lie down. Mattresses designed to distribute pressure evenly across the body to help circulation, decrease body movement and minimize the transfer of movement from one sleeping partner to the other, as well as one that includes perimeter edge support, as also recommended.
Choosing The Best Mattress Under 500 Or Other Price Range
Based on expert and user reviews, we were not able to form a definitive opinion on whether foam, latex or air mattresses really are a superior choice. Accordingly, while we list various mattress types in the Consumer-Search Best Reviewed section, the easiest choice for consumers who don’t want to personally test mattresses before buying them remains traditional spring-type mattresses. Keep in mind, however, that all reviewers say shoppers should test a mattress — at a store, hotel, even at a friend’s home — before buying. Some retailers and manufacturers offer an in-home test. Just keep in mind you’ll most likely be responsible for paying shipping charges both ways.
Lumps, bump, dips, sagging, as well as a stained or torn cover, are all signs that it may be time to buy a new mattress. Even if the exterior of your mattress is in good shape, experts recommend the average mattress to be replaced every eight to 10 years and every 10 to 12 for a premium mattress. Some experts even recommend buying a new one every seven years for the sake of hygiene, which isn’t a bad idea considering that the average sleeper secretes half a liter of perspiration a night, and up to double that when ill.
Experts Advice On Buying The Perfect Mattress:
- If buying offline, spend at least 15 minutes on a mattress in the store. If buying the mattress online, be sure that you’ve gone through a comprehensive review you can trust. If you sleep with a partner, be sure that you have put them into consideration when buying the mattress (sometimes it is good to make the buying decision together in this case).
- You shouldn’t overpay, but you shouldn’t underpay either. Many experts say you should expect to pay about $800 for a quality queen-size innerspring mattress set, however with deep research finding one below $500 is possible.
- The mattress should support your body at every point. If you prefer, you can buy a mattress with extra support at the head, center or ends, or with zoned support, which offers different support levels for different parts of the body.
- Test for firmness. If you have difficulty rolling over, the bed is probably too soft. If the bed is too firm your hips and shoulders will feel uncomfortable. Lie on your back and try to slide your hand under the small of your back. If your hand slides too easily, the mattress may be too firm.
- The gauge number, or thickness, of the springs determines the mattress’s suspension. If you prefer firm suspension, look for a lower-gauge number (which means thicker spring wire); if you like soft suspension, go for a higher-gauge number (thinner spring wire). A good-quality full-size mattress has a gauge of between 12.75 (more firm) and 15 (less firm).
- The number of coils also determines a mattress’s support. A good full-size mattress should have at least 300 coils (although many premium models have close to 400), while a queen-size mattress should have a minimum of 375 coils and a king-size mattress should have no less than 450.
- Pay attention to padding materials. Less expensive mattresses may have vinyl ticking (the outermost layer of the mattress) instead of polyester or a cotton-polyester blend, but all should hold up over time. As for top padding, soft foam is preferable to polyester batting, which tends to lose its loft over time. Convoluted foam in the middle padding (which looks like an egg carton) is softer and more comfortable than straight foam.
- Stitching should be uniform and unbroken to prevent the fabric from loosening.
- If you’re buying an innerspring mattress, buy a box spring as well. Many manufacturers will void their warranty if you do not purchase a matching set. Box springs that have coils in addition to wood or steel bars are better. Also, you should always use a bed frame, and make sure there’s center support for larger-sized mattress sets.
- If you have allergies, look for hypoallergenic or antimicrobial materials (such as Microban) in the padding.
- Reputable retailers allow for a trial period. Find out how many exchanges you are allowed, and if you are restricted to a product of equal or greater value. Read the return policy and make sure the dealer won’t deliver a substitute brand or style. Ask about refunds and re-stocking fees. Most important, get it in writing. If your bed is returnable for a refund, have the salesperson write this on your invoice.
- New mattresses are thicker than they used to be, so your old sheets may no longer fit. Widths have gone from about 7 inches to more than 9 inches, so you may need sheets with a deep-pocket corner.
- Ask about disposal of your old mattress. Some stores offer free disposal, while some only carry it to the curb. Mattress recycling is available in limited areas.
- Ventilate a new mattress for a few hours. Open the windows in the room and leave the bed unmade. Both memory foam and latex foam mattress typically require a few days of ventilation to eliminate unpleasant odors.
- Experts say used mattresses should never be passed on to children since their bodies are still developing and need a firm mattress.
- Avoid beds that are too high or too low. The rule of thumb is that your feet should reach the ground comfortably when you sit on the edge of the mattress. And you should be able to stand without much effort.
- Standard mattress dimensions in the U.S. are: twin, 39 inches by 75 inches; double, 54 inches by 75 inches; queen, 60 inches by 80 inches; standard king, 76 inches by 80 inches; California king, 72 inches by 84 inches. Queen is the most popular mattress size.
- Mold or dust mites lingering in bedding, mattresses and pillows commonly trigger allergies and asthma. One option is to have your mattress wrapped in a hypoallergenic cover. You might also look for allergy-free synthetic materials and avoid moisture-retaining padding like cotton batting, which can encourage mold, mildew and bacteria growth. hopefully our guide on finding the best mattress under 500 has been helpful.